Saturday, July 01, 2017

a hole in the ocean

Some one once said that a boat is like a hole in the ocean; into it you throw all your spare cash. I am trying to keep track of all the new stuff I buy for this old boat. The cost of all new items added to an old boat is not recoverable when you sell the boat later.
Magnum 21
1. Jockey wheel
The original jockey wheel that came with the boat was old but still working well. I decided to change it because I parked my boat on the front lawn which slopes the wrong way. When it rains the cockpit fills with rain water. The new jockey wheel has a longer reach, tilting the front of the boat higher and so drains the water to the back and out through the drain holes.
2. hand winch.
The hand winch was old but still working; however, I have another winch, newer which I am not using. I bought it for $5 at the Hospice shop.
The logic was this: it is too cheap, I must have it. Never mind that I had no boat at the time.
True enough, later I bought a catamaran and used it for the Hobie 16 for a while. I was using this winch to raise a gin pole arrangement used in raising the heavy mast by myself. It worked nicely.
The gin pole, forestay and mast forms a triangle. The winch line is attached directly to the top of the gin pole. As I crank the winch, the heavy mast rises slowly (no more back strains).
Now it is being used for pulling the Magnum 21 onto its trailer. I like it because it has a build-in automatic clutch, allowing me to safely let go of the handle at any time.

3. coupling
After changing the jockey wheel and the winch I decided that I might as well go the whole way, replacing the coupling also, as shown below.
There are now three new items on the front end of the trailer. I do not intend to spend any more money on this 40 year old boat, but...

4. light board
I failed the WOF and had to replace the old type of light board with a wider arrangement with extra white lights facing forward. I decided to use LED lights because these are much brighter. I had the opportunity to incorporate towing lights onto the trailer with no more loose wires or board; so I took it. It will be so convenient and one less item for me to remember.
These new type of LED lights are immersible and very bright; a very good buy indeed.
White LED lights facing forward. These are now legally required if your trailer wheels are more than 2 metres apart. Land transport web site does not mention this requirement clearly enough.                                                                              
All the wires are led through the trailer to the front as shown in this photo. No more light boards and cables to fiddle around; simply plug it in after securing the coupling (red) and safety chain.
5. welding
Welding was another WOF requirement. In the photo, the lighter colour short pieces of channel iron have been replaced and painted by the welder (he didn't have the same colour that I used). I also took this opportunity to move the winch base slightly towards the rear to reduce the tongue weight on the tow ball. Now I can lift the front of the trailer easily with one hand when detaching the coupling from the ball behind my car. It is wise not to lift [heavy] weights and turn your spine at the same time. This combination of movements is responsible for most back injuries to your back. Always safer to bend your knees and lift with straight backs and no turning.

6. grab rails
These wooden grab rails once belonged to the Nanook. I sanded and applied some wood stain to rejuvenate the wood grain.

They looked great after I installed them on the coach roof of the Moustique which came with safety lines all round but no grab rails.

7. fenders.
I bought two new fenders, one for each side, for use when launching the boat at the boat ramp. These are inflatable type, bought from Smart marine at The Base.

So far this is the only item I bought for this boat. All the other expenses were spent on the trailer in order to get WOF (warrant of fitness). A fibre glass boat does not need much maintenance (compared to a wooden boat); except perhaps a wash down with a water blaster now and then.
A trailer yacht, with a retractable centre board (keel) is usually stored on the front lawn at home. It does not incur any exorbitant marina (parking) charges. Its proximity allows the owner to spend lots of time making small repairs and adjustments as often as he wishes. This is a plus, compared to a keeler parked at a marina 100 km away.

Most trailer yachts are less than 25 feet long. They are small and the mast is not too heavy for one man to handle. Many older yachties stop sailing because they can no longer handle the heavy mast. Those with money, can easily move on to a larger keeler, 28 to 50 foot. They can continue sailing until the money runs out. The plus points are many: Drive to the marina, park the Mercedes, walk aboard, start engine and cast off all within 15 minutes. The mast and sometimes even the sails are permanently installed, using furlers!
The cost of yachting increases exponentially when the boat size goes over 25 feet. e.g. My Noelex 22 is worth 7.5k, the Noelex 25 has a market value of 28k, whereas a Noelex 30 is selling for not less than 65K. New 35's costs 139K! With advancing years, older yachties may become richer; but the mast seems to become heavier! It becomes too much of a bother to rig up and rig down, every time one goes sailing. 

To continue sailing, a compromise solution is to berth larger boats at a marina (boat parking). The mast is left permanently up with the main lowered or furled. The jib can also have a furler. No more hard work towing, rigging up, launching, recovering and rigging down the mast any more. The boat remains afloat always and the mast and other gears stay permanently rigged. The blue cloth is for protecting the sail against UV. The owner drives leisurely in his saloon (no more 4x4) to the marina, starts the motor and cast off; all within 5 minutes. Once clear of other boats, he removes sail covers, raise or unfurl sails, pull on the main sheet, cut the motor and away he goes, just like before; but all within 15 minutes!

Near Turangi on the shores of Lake Taupo, there is a marina at Waitetoko.  They charge $460 to $600 per year for each berth, depending on the size of your boat. Most of these were between 25 and 35 footers. I saw three Noelex 30's. ($50K to 70K) there last week. The place is run by the NZ government (DOC) and the waiting list for a berth is one year. Perhaps there is no need to buy a keeler or stop sailing at all when I grow older. I am now looking at other options for continuing this life style on the water.                                                         

No comments: