Wednesday, June 28, 2017

test rig up

Before I launched the boat on water, I did a test rig-up, on my front lawn, of the mast, sails and rudder just to make sure that everything is there.
I stepped the rudder and checked all the control lines on it.

Next I raised the jib.



Then I raised the main, checked the boom, halyard, outhaul, kicking strap and reefing lines. I have oredi checked the main sheet blocks when I used it earlier for raising the mast.
As far as I can see, every thing is there and working. I will find out more when I actually launch her and start sailing next week.
The rudder is working properly; but I will need to launch this boat to check the proper function of the centre board winch. At the moment it  cannot be lowered when it is sitting on the trailer.
I installed a short safety sling for the forestay in case the turn buckle fails. If preferred, the blue line can be used for lowering the mast quickly. First to your upraised hand, then to your shoulder; followed by bending your knees to this position below:
Then unpin the base of the mast and walk it forward to this towing position:
Secure the mast, strap the boat down and you are ready for towing. My home water is at Lake Ngaroto, 36 km away. There is also good sailing at Lake Karapiro, near Cambridge and Raglan harbour.
This photo was taken near Putaruru, on the way home from Lake Taupo, when I took delivery of the boat.

No comments: