Thursday, June 29, 2017

failed WOF

My first submission for Warrant of Fitness failed for 2 reasons:
1. rust corrosion on the trailer.
2. the light board was too narrow.
For welding the trailer, I need to remove the boat somehow and then send the empty trailer to the workshop.
I removed the mast, rudder and outboard engine, storing them temporarily behind the house.



There are ways for moving heavy engines without much effort. This table has wheels! I bought it from the Hospice shop for $20. It is also a very sturdy table because the wheels can be locked.

The boat is all stripped down and ready for launching at the Hamilton lake nearby.
I picked a weekday morning when there was nobody around.
I quickly launched the boat, tied it to a post and sent the empty trailer to the welding shop.

Meanwhile the empty boat was tied to a post for a few hours. I will not dream of leaving it there overnight because most boat fittings are stainless steel and quite expensive to replace.
I even removed the boom, rudder, sails and lines from inside the cabin and stored them inside my garage.
After the welding job where a few short channels and beams were replaced, I came back and recovered my boat in the afternoon, sending it to an electrician for installing LED towing lights. He kept the boat over night.
The winch works well with the new plastic lines which replaces the steel cable. The boat sits on rollers.
The next day, submersible type towing lights on the mudguards were completed.
New LED towing lights.
white LED lights facing forward. All lights indicated the true width of the load on the trailer, especially at night.
All wires led forward using electrical tie-downs. From here onwards there is no need to have a light board any more. For good measure, I also replaced the winch and the coupling before going for the warrant again. This time I passed. 
I bought this 5:1 winch for $5 at the Hospice shop on Lake Road. It even has an automatic clutch mechanism which is not usually available.
Next job is to return everything back to the boat: mast, rudder, sails, lines and outboard, ready for launching next week at Lake Ngaroto for sea trials.

No comments: